Last weekend our oldest daughter Jennifer and her husband Andrew came home for a weekend on the farm. They do this when they need an escape from the hubbub of the city (St. Paul) and their dog Comet (half brother to Rocket) needs to run off some energy!
Jennifer requested a “retro” recipe that I use to make regularly when the kids were young, Spaghetti Pie. Its one of those recipes that is easy, fast and you always have the ingredients in the pantry.
1 6 ounce package spaghetti
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cook and drain spaghetti. Stir in butter, parmesan cheese and eggs, while spaghetti is hot. Form spaghetti mixture into a crust in a buttered 10 inch pie plate.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a skillet cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic. Drain off any fat and stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and oregano. Heat through.
4. Pour the beef and tomato mixture over the spaghetti crust.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the pie then bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese melts.
It also is comfort food for “blustery” days like we are having today in MN! Give it a try and let me know what you think.